View Single Post
      04-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #11
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Ok, so I need some help with this rear cable, please. I made a half-hearted attempt back at Christmastime, got stymied, and have been driving around with no kidney grilles since. Time to get 'er done. On a whim, I asked my dealership how much to replace the rear cable and they quoted me $420. And an independent BMW shop told me to try a body shop instead "because they have the right tools" for fishing the cable thru the firewall. Hmmm.

But kahuna001 says "5 second job", and this DIY does make it seem excruciatingly simple. Unfortunately I'm an engineer so I have an innate ability to screw up simple tasks by overthinking things. Here are my two issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
...and the rubber funnel that the screen sits in. All of these items can be removed by hand. The rubber funnel has two plastic pawls that need to be removed, one on the fender wall, one fender wheel well.
1. So how the heck do you get that 'pawl' (scrivet) that goes to the wheel well out?? It's WAY down there were I can't get my fingers and there's no good angle to get a long flat screwdriver in there to pry up the head. Do I need a long pick of some kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
Inside the vehicle, remove the driver’s door sill trim, there are about six or eight plastic pawls to pop off. Remove the drivers footwell plastic kick plate.
2. It's not mentioned, but it sure seems like you'd also want to peel back the carpet in that area, up by the footrest dead pedal. Is there a way to peel back the carpet and dead pedal? - how is that attached??

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0