View Single Post
      07-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #16
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

So for everyone else, here's the thing about that grommet:

1 - the location is inaccessible from inside the car and impossible to reach with your hand from the engine bay. I have like a 14" vice grips I was using to try and grab it and pull it through. I could pull it, but it's not aligning with the hole properly: something on the inside seems to be getting in the way.

2 - when you get your new cable, that grommet appears to be very firmly attached to the cable, meaning the grommet does not slide up or down along the cable. Seems to be molded right to it. "Seems to be" but it's not. With enough force you can separate the cable from the grommet. It's still tight enough to seal (I think) but now the grommet can slide along the cable. I did this inadvertently trying to pull the grommet into place by pulling on the cable not the grommet itself.

Knowing this now, I'm wondering if the better approach for someone else would be:

1. Take your brand new cable and pull the grommet off.
2. Inside the car, attach the new cable to the end of the old cable.
3. From the engine bay, pull the old cable out. You'll need to give it a good yank to separate the grommet from the cable. The key here is you wan to leave the old grommet in place in the firewall.
4. Continue to pull the cable from the engine bay until it can be attached to the junction box.

NOTE: I *think* this may work but it is RISKY: I'm not really certain you'd be able to feed the end of the new cable into the small opening on the old grommet. Completely blind, you can't even see that side of the grommet. You'd have to tape them together as slim/flush/inline as possible.
Appreciate 0