06-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #88
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Well I picked up some N55 mids the other day. I'm currently running N54 mids with the y-pipe and BMWP exhaust. I intend to install the N55 mids without the y-pipe, but leave the BMWP rear section still on the car.

Do you think the car will be quieter or louder this way? Place your bets now - I should hopefully have the answer tomorrow if all goes well.

Essentially, I'll be adding back in a resonator (by not using the y-pipe) but removing the secondary cats. I'm not sure what suppresses the most noise though, the resonator or the cats?
I think the car will be quieter running the N55 mids without the PE y-pipe and rear PE section. That rear resonator really quiets down the exhaust.

There is a another 1Addict here on Base... Kleach he has a N55 with the PE. He actually though the PE y-pipe made the car too loud on his car bc he is running DP(ie no main cat) so he reinstalled the N55 rear resonator. Now it still is loud but more... errr refined!

For my N54 I will reinstall the N54 secondary cats with the PE y-pipe and PE rear section. I have heard many 135i's with that setup and I really like the way the exhaust burbles and pops at speed.
Appreciate 0