View Single Post
      09-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
tnorton776
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 sports package

Aside from a couple of minor quirks and bugs, I really do love my new BMW. especially when it comes to performance. I have a 128i steptronic automatic only 230 hp 200 tq (roughly 240 hp and 205ish tq idk) w/ perf air intake and shifting manually in full throttle + kick down mode i can get from 0 - 60 mph in less than 6 seconds... after about 9 seconds im speeding thru 100 mph in 4th. Not something I do everyday.. but was fun popping the cherry after about 2k miles

personally I think how coordinated you are with your foot/driving skills has a lot to do with how good you can really bring out the full potential of your car and where you strategically decide to shift, all of these factors which has a lot to do with how fast you can get from 0 to 60 and overall driving performance. Try different shift points and pay attention to how you are stepping on the peddle. 3rd gear w/ kick down after no kick down but full throttle in 2nd hitting 4.5- 5.5k rpm on 2nd (dont go over 6k rpm you will lose acceleration!!!) thru about 30-35 mph and 3rd from 30/40 -60 on the 128i seems to be the real sweetspot for fast roughly 6.0 times in the 128 the perf air intake really boosts the acceleration around 3.5-5.5k rpms

Slamming on the gas is not the fastest way to 60. dont engage kick down right away, wait a couple seconds... you gotta caress the peddle for a second or two and let it slip into the acceleration.

One thing I think people forget about this car, is you will not get the best acceleration red lining these new BMWs because their torque and hp drop off dramatically after about 6k. If you keep your car between the 4 - 6k range that is where you will get the best acceleration. Like I said, Personally I can get from 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds with my 128i, and that's not going over 5.5k.

Oh and to that one person who claims to be a race car driver / " advanced police driver ". getting high 6's in his 135i... lol? have you ever won a race?

Last edited by tnorton776; 09-03-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0