View Single Post
      03-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #124
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Bit of an update with the new shifter components. Shifter is super solid now feels very consistent and great to drive.

UUC transmission bushings definitely transmit a noticeable amount of extra noise into the cabin, you don't notice it immediately after install because its pretty subtle.

DMFW chatter on clutch engagement, throwout bearing rattle were present before but are a little louder now.

You get an awesome noise form the car sounds like a faint whine when accelerating under heavy load with the windows closed, overall the car sounds much more mechanical and viceral, very nice and not too loud.

Can't help but think the foam piece in the transmission is just a poor design for a performance car. I suspect the foam piece merely dampens the backlash but does not really make the shifter any more precise. Even though theres zero slop, I believe if there was a solid linkage you would get that extra shifter preciseness, I cannot see a reason why the joint was not just bolted to the transmission instead of using a crappy dowel pin with a loose fit.

It is not the most convenient location for a custom part to be made but I will see if I can come up with something, maybe I can machine up a dowel pin that is thicker and requires a press fit, although that would be a pain to remove.