View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I'm looking for a way to stop compression, or severely limit it on the dirt cheap.

Will they just split and fall out or will they stand up and do what I hope they will?
I know no one will really know, just make educated guesses.

In slow process of making ice racing tires (studs). So I need to limit travel so as not to (hopefully) chew the shit out of the oil cooler ... which may just be removed and blocked; not that far yet.

For rear I'm thinking 'drag bags', cheap footballs in the springs.
Stacking two would not be advised. Bump stops are tuned to compress in exponentially increasing stiffness. Stacking two would not just limited compression travel but also probably double the bump stops effective spring rate. You can definitely do it though since you are taking the anything will work approach.

As a data point, I used a pool noodle cut down the middle at one point to test bump stop engagement adjustments. It worked fine. Never split or anything and all I did was tape it closed around the strut lol. I tried a foam football but it was too soft to provide any compression resistance.

As for studded tires, limited bump travel should help, but, double check clearance while turning too! if you he studs near the edge of the tires you will still tear into the oil cooler.

Last edited by bbnks2; 12-11-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0