View Single Post
      07-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #80
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Anyone install the concealed display in their 1 (especially a 2011 since that's what I'm looking at)? If so, have pics?

Regarding the tap vs vamp debate: The same discussions went (still are?) on the e90 forums too when my wife got hers with roughly the same results you see here. I'm on the "not modifying the wiring/giving the dealer an excuse" side myself.

One big mistake I saw a bunch of the e90 owners doing back then was that they would run the line to the unit on the door side of the A pillar and then cross it over were the pillar and roof liners meet. The problem is that this causes the cord to cross over your side air bag. I HIGHLY recommend that you take the time to take off the A pillar cover (on the e90 there is a star bolt under the little airbag plastic tab) and run the wire up so that it will not potentially interfere with your airbag.

As a long time V1 owner in VA, here are some thoughts on them being illegal:
  1. Yes they are.
  2. (at least in NoVA) Only the state cops are using the detectors that pick up the V1.
  3. Most local cops don't care about them beyond pointing out they are illegal.
  4. Airport authority is the big exception to the above. They will turn around and chase you down if they see it, but they don't have detectors (or at least not ones that pick up the V1).
  5. If you do get a ticket for it, it's an equipment violation which means no points.
  6. You REALLY have to piss the cop of for them to actually confiscate it as they have to treat it like any other evidence (which is usually too much of a PITA for them).
In roughly 14 years of running a V1 in VA I've gotten 2 tickets for it. One because the cop knew he didn't have anything else on me and the other was a state cop with the newer detector that picks up the V1. Only one other time where I was pulled over did they even notice it (in that case he tried to make fun of me for not doing me any good, but I pointed out that he hit me with laser so it told me to go ahead and pull over so he didn't even have to move his car. He laughed and knocked 10mph off the ticket).

Just my $0.03 for the discussion.

-dave
Appreciate 0