View Single Post
      07-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Hey crowtrobot , thanks for this writeup. I have a similar issue with rot on my steel (6MT) oilpan that I just recently found. Auto oil pans are easier to source used and come at that price point you posted. I did see 6MT bnew ones on getbmw for about $650+ I didnt know if you checked there. I would also prefer an Al oil pan to not worry about rust again. Would indys give it a go like you did, knowing it isn’t compatible? Probably. Just that swapping oil pans is most likely out of my DIY league.

Update us of any leak that occurs.
I dunno if an indy would do it - guess it depends on your relationship with them. I've never had great luck getting a shop to fit non-standard parts, as they tend to not want to be responsible if something goes wrong.

I normally buy my parts from getbmw, but for some reason didn't look for the oil pan there. That's a little bit better than the $700+ I was finding, but still pretty annoying. If that stud hadn't broken, I'd have been satisfied sanding down the existing pan and putting some Rustoleum on. It looked pretty nice afterwards, and honestly, the steel pan is a little lighter and easier to fit, so I'd stick with the steel if you have it.

Ran the car for 15 min or so yesterday, seems like it's holding. Real test will be August once it's seen some track time.
Appreciate 0