View Single Post
      07-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I like the idea of an aluminum pan too, mine is steel. But does the outlet come sideways, horizontal, like my ex-wife's? Mine is vertical which makes oil changes easier. Not a killer but I had to make up a deflector (out of scrap cardboard) to minimize the mess.

I wonder if the modification to fit the aluminum pan is less work than fixing the broken stud in the steel pan. I think I would drill out the broken stud, put a bolt in, then weld or braze the bolt in place.
Thanks for a nice piece.
My original plan was to just have a shop drill out the stud and weld a new one in just as you suggest. I took it to VAC Motorsport and they said that they were not confident a new stud wouldn't leak due to the thickness (or lack thereof) of the stamped steel. They have a fantastic fabrication facility, and make high quality product, so I'd trust their judgement when it came to patching up this issue. I don't have the tools or ability to try it on my own, so I went the replacement route.

The drain plug on the new pan does indeed go sideways, which is unfortunate. I usually take the whole belly pan off anyway, so it's not a huge difference, but pointing down would definitely be better.
Appreciate 0