12-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #45
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdre View Post
Steve,

I completely understand your desire to keep the PPK sound. I would love to get me some of that as well. I'm currently running MHD Stage 1 on my N54 with a stock exhaust and get very minimal "sound effects". I'm hesitant to spend money on PE, given the mixed results people are reporting.
I'm not sure of the "mixed results" you are referring to. The vast majority love it, myself included.
That said, there are a few who think it is too loud. Those people should keep stock or golf-tee mod then, as the PE is really on the tasteful end of the volume spectrum for aftermarket exhausts. The only time it is what I would consider "loud" is on cold start for about 20 seconds. But I even like that.

There are also a few who complain of "drone". I understand some people are more sensitive to exhaust noise than others, but I don not experience any drone whatsoever. There is a resonant effect during light acceleration between 1800-2200 RPM, but I wouldn't call it drone, and it does not stay at steady highway speeds. However, I have a 6MT, and I think the complaints come mostly from DCT or AT drivers, where the car may have a slightly different cruise RPM than the MT.

I agree with Steve, that the PE is perhaps the best investment you can make on this car. It is intoxicating, causing me to drive with the driver's window down and heat blasting in cold weather just to listen to it. It is especially great when driving next to a Jersey barrier when the sound bounces back at you.
One note: if you get it and you drive an N54, definitely get the N55 midpipe (secondary cat delete) and Y-pipe (resonator delete) for best sound (assuming stock DP).
Appreciate 1