12-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #34
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I didn't check anything. I just put things back where they came from. 20K+ later, no issues I know of.

BUT, I think I should have done measurements. I have a Torsen in my Focus and it acts completely different; you absolutely know it's there.
The 135, not so much. Vs the e-diff I don't feel it was night/day difference. Yes it'll help. But I don't see anyone who's really dug into 'tuning' the e-diff and chassis control. SOP is code out and get mechanical because I don't understand or like computers. Which works, but is an incomplete story.
Which MFactory differential type did you install? I am quite surprised to hear that there wasn't a night/day difference compared to stock. If you installed a clutch type, you may have not set the preload correctly and the differential is acting like an open. With a helical/Torsen, having too much backlash will usually just cause additional noise/clunking.

Everyone codes out the eLSD after installing a mechanical LSD because that is what you should do. With a proper mechanical LSD you don't want any braking intervention from the ABS system as the mechanical LSD has that covered. There have been pretty decent advancements in eLSD software technology since the E82 was launched, but unless you are a software engineer at BMW, there is no hope for getting updated algorithms into the DSC module. Also keep in mind that the factory eLSD is setup with factory parts in mind. The minute you change tires to something other than factory spec, the system variables have changed and it will not behave the way engineering set it up.

The eLSD is great for BMW as it gives them a "free" differential on a non M-car. And for the vast majority of appliance driving consumers it is good enough as it prevents some wheel spin for starting from a stop on slippery surfaces. Where it fails is the predictability, since the system doesn't intervene until it senses slip. Trying to drift in the snow with the factory open eLSD vs. a proper mechanical LSD is worlds different.
Appreciate 0