View Single Post
      12-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #14
apexwerks
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, E46 M3, Mk7 TDI Wagn

Up next, brakes.

I have a good friend that I've helped with several projects on his former E93, and he gave me a bin full of takeoff parts when he sold the car. So I came into this project with a set of 335i front calipers, and F/R ECS 2-piece rotors for a 335i. The calipers had 50k miles on them, and the rotors less than 5k. The fronts are a direct swap, but as has been published here the rears are a lot more complex. Plus I needed to get a set of rear calipers, so we'll start with fronts first.

The first step was to overhaul the calipers- media blast, powder coat, and rebuild with new seals, pistons and bleeders.

Before and after media blasting:

Disassembled and ready for powder:

Powder on and in the oven:

Cured and ready for rebuild:

Reassembled, tested and on the car:

Rears are where things get complicated... I have a set of rear calipers that need to be put through the same media blast/PC/rebuild process, and then the fun starts. I've decided to swap over to the "narrow" rear end from a 335i and get a set of 335i wheel carriers, axles and hubs. That'll give me the larger parking brake setup for the 335i brakes without resorting to welding brake shoes, and I can run spacers with my existing wheels or have the option of grabbing E90 wheels if the mood strikes.

Last edited by apexwerks; 12-20-2021 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
fast1eddy269.50
lab_rat394.50