04-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
As previously advised new vehicle OMs have the warning information regarding over-filling the engine oil damaging CATs as do the oil filler caps on many models. I know for a fact Audi and VW have this in their manuals but other car makers may also.

Oil suppliers also reduced ZDDP content of oils starting with API SM spec oils due to the fact that even a small quantity of ZDDP can harm CAT mufflers and this only comes from crankcase vent systems, so oil vapors can be very damaging to CATs.
zddp was in gas, you can still get zddp oil and oil additives, but keep in mind, two stroke engines use cats too, there's nothing in tcw3 two stroke oil that could harm a cat, at least as far as I've found.

I'm going to look for an audi or vw manual, do you know exactly what model you saw this oil overfill damaging cat warning?

It's pretty common to overfill cars going onto the track, because of oil starvation under long cornering, seriously the first time I've ever heard of oil level affecting your cats is this thread, how exactly does this happen?
Appreciate 0