11-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I'd buy all of the 2015 Romanee-Conti I could lay my hands on for that price! ( I just wouldn't drink it)
I actually owned several bottles of that wine, from middling vintages, none of which I ever drank, although I have consumed very small quantities of Romanee Conti on at least 3 occasions.

I sold the bottles that I had years ago, through an online auction operated by a wine store, and received store credit in return. One of the few "good investments" I ever made in wine.

My most recent taste of this wine was 4 years ago in a fine restaurant in France that is located not far from where the primary owners of the estate live. I was seated at the adjacent table to theirs. He is French and she was originally American. We have met several times over the years, very briefly. They recognized me and graciously offered me a thimble-full taste of the 1961, which they were drinking with another couple, a bottle brought in from their own cellar. In all honesty, the wine was old and tired, but it was a thrill to taste it, nonetheless.

Name:  Romanee Conti 1961-2.jpg
Views: 2408
Size:  596.3 KB

You don't need to spend anywhere near this much money to find an enjoyable red Burgundy to have with dinner :-)
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00