Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Interesting this particular AW 1M sold for $64k. There are lower mileage examples on sale for less money or the same money. I think the bidding war at the end helped a lot.

However, $100k or bust baby! To the moon!
Let's say for the sake of argument that 3 years from now the car is miraculously worth $100K. Would you still drive it?

I would have second thoughts. In fact, I might sell or trade it if that were to happen. I think I would become so worried about having an accident in it, that it would just sit. And if it is going to sit in my garage and not get driven, then why own it in the first place?

That is what happened to the bottles of wine I purchased long ago that appreciated to ridiculous values; I sold them to someone even dumber than myself, and bought a whole bunch of really good wine that I actually have drunk.
IMHO the analogy doesn't work. What you did with your wine collection makes absolute sense if the aim is enjoyment over status. There is an amazing array of $50/bottle wine that would offer at least 95% of the enjoyment that you could get out of a $500/bottle. This does not correlate to the 1M and cars in general. I posit that there is no $10,000 car that could offer anything close to the balanced performance, fun, comfort, and reliability of our (theortetical) $100,000 1M.

Don't cage your 1M in this future scenario. Daily drive it. The relatively negligible depreciation will be offset by the joy it brings you. Just make sure to insure it properly.