Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Lies. At least on my auto it is.

Try this.

Hit the starter button without your foot on the brake to wake up the car. Then drop it in neutral.

That's how you do it with a step - a DCT should be the same way. Let me know if it works for you!
Actually that won't work with a DCT. As far as I can tell it won't go to Neutral without the engine being turned on.

This is a good case for "automatic car wash mode". From Page 224 of the manual:

Before driving into an automatic car wash, perform the following steps to ensure that the vehicle can roll:

1. Insert the remote control into the ignition lock, even with Comfort Access.
2. Engage transmission position N.
3. Release the parking brake.
4. Switch off the engine.
5. Leave the remote control in the ignition lock so that the vehicle can roll.
- It switches back to P after 30 minutes or if you remove the key from the slot.

But what's not stated in the instructions above is that you still have to turn the car on between steps 1 and 2. Once it's in Neutral you can turn the car back off again and it will remain in Neutral as the instructions above indicate (dropping back to P if you remove the key).

I just tried this with my own car and I could not get it to go into Neutral without first igniting the engine. It does seem odd, so maybe there's some other trick that I'm not aware of. (Edit: Looks like bogart found the same.)