09-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I wonder when they started surfacing their pistons with chrome plating. It's been a few months since installing their pistons with stock pressure seals and everything has been fine so far after a couple autocross events and a trackday. Somehow can't remember now if mine were shiny or polished...
Since your pistons and seals will never be exposed to freezing weather like your northern neighbors in Canada, perhaps you will not run into the issue. Im hoping that chrome plating will last when exposed to several cycles of extreme temperature (sessions at the track in the summer, and errands in the Winter).

If you noticed, one user who I quoted in my previous post, polished the pistons himself to address the seal premature wear issue. This obviously has nothing to do with leaking due to temperature extremes ...

RB did not mention when exactly they changed to "chrome plating" ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 09-04-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0