View Single Post
      09-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Wow... alot about skills and hp numbers... what about simple pure enjoyment factor??

Personally I got a 128 because i find tremendous pleasure in driving a "slow" car "fast".... Believe me i could have picked any model i wanted.. My other car is a Miata, and for those who have never driven one 10/10ths...what a blast...

Personally i felt that the 135 was "more" than i would ever use or want living in NY... same goes for the my choice of "step". The Miata is a 6spd.. ive driven back from NJ in 4hrs of traffic... at the 3 hr point you want to tear the gear box out, and run away yelling and screaming...

As far as skill goes, any car driven 9/10 ths needs skill.. just as easy to loose the tail in my 130hp Miata as it is in a 230hp 128i.. but how often and for how long do we drive our cars at 9/10ths????? Thats the real question.. The 128I (optioned correctly) is therefor in my opinion a MUCH better Daily Driver all around car as opposed to the 135i considering we drive our cars at 5/10ths all day long...

just my .02

You had me right up the 128i being MUCH better daily driver than the 135i Step to Step...

For a daily driver in traffic as you are and comparing step to step, the 135i is in my opinion the better daily driver, for sure. Want to squeeze a little more acceleration to merge, change lanes, or do whatever, the 135 is so effortless and doesn't need to shift and rev like the 128 would. Sure it's more overkill than the 128 is in traffic commuting but I will say much more enjoyable than my 330 zhp step commuter i replaced.

Now if you live in an area where you get to open it up a fair bit with decent roads, etc. I would consider the 128i manual a good choice, perhaps even better than the 135 for daily driving, as you can really extract the power from it.

The 128 to me is much more pure as a BMW (light car, nice revving inline 6) that needs the manual trans to complete the package (from an enthusiast standpoint). My pseudo BMW (same car but now with huge GM v8/MB v8 torque) doesn't need the manual, and has lost the purity; but it's what i was ready for this time.