asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
VCG leak

What's up guys! So I've had a valve cover gasket leak for a few months now and I'm wondering if I'm risking anything by prolonging the repair. The leak was originally found when I was having my plugs and could replaced because of occasional misfires on cold starts. Two of the plug threads were found to be soaked in oil. The guy who was replacing them told me the valve cover gasket had a minor leak but that I should be fine for a while and he tightened the bolts. I later learned that you're not supposed to do that but thankfully (or maybe unfortunately?) he didn't crack the cover itself. Or at least I doubt he did because I had the car looked at by BMW a couple months later to get it repaired under my aftermarket warranty. Ended up not doing it because the warranty doesn't cover the gasket alone but it does cover the valve cover. I doubt BMW would have let $2k go like that. Okay but anyways, the car has been driving great ever since. No misfires, no codes, no low oil warnings or anything that would make me think something is wrong. Is there any reason why I would want to do the repair sooner rather than later? Am I risking any potential damage by prolonging the repair? Or do you guys think I'm fine waiting until I can combine the VCG replacement with another maintenance item in the same area (plugs, coils, injectors etc) when the time eventually comes to save on paying for labor twice?
Appreciate 0