View Single Post
      08-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
trickstar
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i convertible

Garage List
I did. I used a piece of music wire,.032,1/32" thick. It's spring steel quality, strong but thin. I used a thin drill bit to remove the remaining collar 'washer' that's left from the broken off cable attachment. Drilled on both sides of the remaining black plastic washer around the pivot post that is sticking out of the lid hinge to remove it. Taking out that pin that it is around is not possible, I believe that is welded in. You're left with a pin and a washer. Wrap the music wire around the pin between the washer and the hinge. Really tight around that pin. Leave about 3 or 4" of pigtail of music wire to work with.

The broken black plastic cable attachment will leave an oblong, oval sleeve or collar around the end of the cable. On the oblong lobe of the broken off part of the attachment, I was able to drill a tiny hole to put the pigtail of the music wire through. At this point, both ends of the pigtail wire must be bent and secured in any way that you can. The wire wrapped around the hinge pin WILL come unwound under the stress of the pull of the sliding panel, unless you bend it around itself and secure it.

You may prefer to fabricate a collar, or even drill a hole through the washer that is left on the hinge. This would allow you to put an end of the music wire through it, possibly easier to work with. You may prefer to use one piece of wire for the hinge side connection, and another for the cable side, looping them through each other at some point along the way.

Hope that this helps someone.

Jimmy
Appreciate 0