07-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #108
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
So - how is it that Ford has not one car that is outstanding in any criteria
Sorry - but Ford was never (ok maybe 50 years ago) and is not a car company that defines the pace for the automotive industry.
Ford is in no way premium. That means Ford will never be in a position to earn really much money per car. And regarding their competition in the mass market they stand no chance against VW and Toyota...
And - regarding your reference to "BMW and economies of scale". Mass is not a guaranty for success. Look at GM - my goodness! Following your thinking, BMW had to be dead for decades now. Guess what: They are not - they are currently enhancing their sales volume by 15% and I suspect they will innovate the industry with their upcoming premium megacity vehicle.... something Ford has to run after then.....
You have no idea what you're talking about. Most of Ford's current cars are near or at the top of their respective fields in reliability, value, efficiency, etc.
Look at the F-150, Mustang, Fusion, Taurus, etc. All of them are kicking but sales wise and review wise. "Ford will never be in a position to earn much money per car" Are you serious? There is still big profits in the truck market. You also missed the article on how consumers are asking for more ECO-BOOST motors in the Taurus cars. It clearly states it is boosting the profits. How about the Ford Transit. They already have an electric version of it. Keep your blinders on. Ford and Hyundai have been the ones to watch.

You go on and on about BMW being some sort of industry leader. There is plenty of room for others. Name me one thing BMW has done that Audi hasn't done. They've got V8's and V10's that go screaming past 8,000rpms too.

Premium Megacity?? Haha. That is untested waters. So by your thinking BMW is catching up to Nissan with their Leaf that goes on sale this Dec.
Appreciate 0