View Single Post
      07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The other thing I get from the discussion is that the benefit of chaning out drivers is somewhat dependant on what you start with. If you have the best BMW stock speakers, there is probably more to be gained with a equalizer/amp. But if you have the worst BMW speakers, or even worse, the speakers in my Suzuki SUV, I would still think of speakers first. I just don't think that amp can fix poor speakers. But if the stock speakers are decent, it's fairly easy for me to believe an equalizer could be a better next step.

Put another way, especially in a car but even in a house, it is really hard to get a flat frequency response just with speakers. Even with a more complicated crossover I doubt you can get there. So even with really good drivers, you are going to have frequency ranges that are too loud or too soft. The most practical and possibly the only way way to "fix" this in a car is equilization.

Jim