09-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #70
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
You had me right up the 128i being MUCH better daily driver than the 135i Step to Step...

For a daily driver in traffic as you are and comparing step to step, the 135i is in my opinion the better daily driver, for sure. Want to squeeze a little more acceleration to merge, change lanes, or do whatever, the 135 is so effortless and doesn't need to shift and rev like the 128 would. Sure it's more overkill than the 128 is in traffic commuting but I will say much more enjoyable than my 330 zhp step commuter i replaced.

Now if you live in an area where you get to open it up a fair bit with decent roads, etc. I would consider the 128i manual a good choice, perhaps even better than the 135 for daily driving, as you can really extract the power from it.

The 128 to me is much more pure as a BMW (light car, nice revving inline 6) that needs the manual trans to complete the package (from an enthusiast standpoint). My pseudo BMW (same car but now with huge GM v8/MB v8 torque) doesn't need the manual, and has lost the purity; but it's what i was ready for this time.
Believe me, i see where you are coming from... and i will admit that a stick 128 would extract that little bit more that the car has to give, that we with paddles miss. It just as one (me) gets older, smarter ??, calmer... i have found ways to simulate that missed sensation, while still having the daily driver that i really need, and having no remorse of the simulation then the real thing... a 135 step/ dct is a beast no doubt.... just some of us dont need to tame that beast anymore...

I had my 128 at lime rock. never driven at speed there. was only 3 seconds behind a 135 that seem to have been there alot !! (and my car had all of a 1001 miles on it when i put it in pit lane.... and i didnt even paddle shift and left the e-nannies on... beast tamed