View Single Post
      06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Traverner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Limp mode and DIY repair/reset?

My 2008 135i went into limp/half power mode last night when I went to go home from a friend's. Stayed overnight and the error has not gone away yet.

Is it possible that Autozone or other parts store open today can read the code, or will it require a specialized reader? Last time I had limp mode they couldn't tell me what the code meant, had to take it to a BMW shop, but maybe it was just that particular code(s).

If it was an intermittent issue, or if I am able to diagnose and replace the part (VANOS for example), will there have to be some reset to get out of limp mode, or is it supposed to automatically pull itself out of limp mode once the issue is fixed? Along those lines, is there any way for me to reset the computer such as disconnecting battery in case this is an intermittent issue that simply isn't resetting itself? Even without codes, I'm considering removing and cleaning the VANOS solenoids as a shot in the dark since I can't take it for service until tomorrow anyway.

Thanks for any advice, this is frustrating timing considering I started a new job last week which will complicate getting the car in for repairs if needed.
Appreciate 0