View Single Post
      08-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #27
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I LOVED my 135i!

Presently I drive a 335is, basically the same feeling, just a little bigger.

I stopped driving fast on the street after my first time on track. I realized how stupid it was to go fast on the street. To many variables.

The track is the place to go really fast if that's what you want.

Minimally, you'll need a few things to accomplish this. A helmet for sure first off.

Then, since your car was built for street use, you'll need to make a few changes. As suggested, a good set of race or race/street (more aggressive) brake pads and good, new, brake fluid will give you all the braking you'll probably need (until you REALLY start pushing things). Big Brake kits aren't all that necessary for track use.

Good, or new, sticky tires will help tremendously. They wear faster, but we're having fun here, right?

Further changes could include a different, more track-related alignment. More camber will help with handling a lot but it will also wear the insides of your tires faster on the street.

The 1 series and 3 series are both improved by changing the rear subframe bushings, they really help tame the back end.

Next level stuff includes coilovers, stiffer swaybars, and this is just the start.

An aftermarket oil cooler will REALLY help on track too! Our cars already run hot, and on track, your oil temps will see temps they'll never see on the street. One option is to run the track, run the oil hot, and change soon after, OR, add the oil cooler and it'll help keep your oil temps in check even on track for relatively little money (as far as mods go).
Appreciate 0