United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Frequently Asked Questions

1Ronnie has generously provided a set of FAQ's for the Audio/Video/Electronics/Bluetooth/I-Drive/Alarm category. Thanks so much for your hard work, Ron.

Here goes, four subsections included in four sequential posts;

FAQ: Common Audio System Issues
The following FAQ outlines some of the common audio problems listed in this thread. There are too many complaints to list individually but hopfully this reflects the most common, or groups of similar issues. Comments, enhancements, corrections, and suggestions will be added to the FAQ as appropriate.
Following are the topics covered:
1. Why does my audio temporarily go off soon after the car starts?
2. My MP3 player or iPod audio comes and goes, or speakers cut in and out
3. I hear static/vibrations on Bass notes when driving
4. Why doesn't my USB device work?
5. My iPod won't play through a USB Cable
6. Why don't I see the "ART", "ALB", "GEN" or "LIST" buttons on the Head Unit?
7. Why do I occasionally hear 5 high pitched beeps coming through the Sound System?
8. Why does my Radio not work when the rear defroster is on?
9. Volume gets quieter when I slow down, louder when I speed up
10. Sound occasionally goes Fuzzy, Quiet, Loud, Staticy
11. Very poor sound quality from outside the car
12. What diagnostic steps can I take to fix my Audio Problems

1. Why does my audio temporarily go off soon after the car starts?

This is a well known problem if you have the "HiFi" Sound System (the standard shipped in USA/Canada). It is caused by a reset of the MOST bus, causing the Siemens RAD2 system to reset. The document is well described in this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10816

2. My MP3 player or iPod audio comes and goes, or speakers cut in and out

The most common cause of this problem is a bad cable or bad connection between the music player and the USB / Aux ports under the armrest. Numerous people have commented that the cables can get "pinched" when the arm rest is put down. Others have commented that the connector going into the Aux port can easily be pulled out a small amount causing a bad connection or complete loss of sound.

3. I hear static/vibrations on Bass notes when driving

This is most commonly experienced in cars with the "Top HiFi" or "Premium" Sound Systems installed. There has been an ongoing debate with BMW on the cause of this issue, and has not yet been suitably resolved. It is well documented here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14289

4. Why doesn't my USB device work?

There are a number of prerequisites before a USB device will work. Primarily it must work as a standard "Removable Storage Device" on a computer, must be formatted in FAT or FAT32, must have standard MP3 music files, and must not exceed the power capabilities of the USB port. A good diagnostic is to use a small cheap USB memory stick, with a small number of MP3 music tracks on it to verify the USB port is working. More details can be found here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19779

5. My iPod won't play through a USB Cable

Use of the iPod in the 1er is best acheived using the BMW "Y-Cable", which allows the iPod to play iTunes files in the AAC format through the Aux input in the 1er. Using a standard iPod USB cable will only work for music on the iPod that is in standard MP3 format. More details can be found here:

6. Why don't I see the "ART", "ALB", "GEN" or "LIST" buttons on the Head Unit?

The most common scenario is you have not waited long enough. It is common for libraries over 11,000 songs to take 15, 20 or more minutes to scan, before the soft buttons appear on the HU. A simple test to try is to put a smaller number of MP3 tracks onto a USB memory stick, and make sure they appear. More details can be found here:

7. Why do I occasionally hear 5 high pitched beeps coming through the Sound System?

This is caused buy the Hourly Time Signal in iDrive equipped cards, which can be configured in the iDrive settings, consult page 75 of the iDrive user manual to disable this. The iDrive user manual can be referenced here:
http://www.1addicts.com/goodiesforyo...ve_E82_E88.pdf

8. Why does my Radio not work when the rear defroster is on?

This happens in some cars, not all, and will most likely affect AM Radio. This is due to the Radio Antenna being implemented as wire traces in the window similar to the wires used for the rear defroster. Some drivers experience no problem at all, others find no Radio stations work at all when the defroster us running. Potential implications such as Window Tinting or AM Radio transmission strength may have an impact on your experience.

9. Volume gets quieter when I slow down, louder when I speed up

This is a feature known as Speed Dependant Volume on the "Top HiFi" or "Premium" Sound System, which can be configured in the Audio Settings screen on the Head Unit. The setting can be changed from 1 - 6, where 1 is the least change, and 6 is the most.

10. Sound occasionally goes Fuzzy, Quiet, Loud, Staticy

There are many reported issues of the Audio system going hayware intermittantly, which is extremely hard to reproduce, and may happen extremely irregularly. Should the problem happen repeatedly, it is suggested that you consult your dealer, there may be justification to have the Head Unit replaced.

11. Very poor sound quality from outside the car

This is a common complaint with the 1er, the sound proofing does not prevent rattles or distortion occuring when hearing the car from the outside. The comment "it is what it is" seems to sum up this issue.

12. What diagnostic steps can I take to fix my Audio Problems

Depending on the type of fault, some of these things may be good to try:
- Check the volume. Distortion is often caused by too much volume, no sound from too little volume
- Check the Aux input volume, there is an input volume for the Aux port in the Audio Settings screen when listening to Aux devices
- Check the sending devices volume when using the Aux port. Distortion is often caused by too much volume, no sound from too little volume
- Check all connectors are pushed in
- Check that cables have not been overly bent, stretched, or creased.
- Test using alternative cables,
- Try alternative audio devices, a different iPod, or a small memory stick with a few MP3's on it.
- Try your audio device in another car (at the dealer or a friends)
- Use a different port, if the Aux port isn't working, try a Memory Stick in the USB port, if the USB port isn't working try an MP3 player connected to the Aux port.
- Try the Radio or a CD if MP3 or iPod is not working, to check if the Head Unit is working
- Check fuses in the fuse panel
- Power the car off and on again
- For USB devices, power the car off, and leave it for some time to "Standby" before trying again (honestly I thought I had blown up my USB port after accidentally shorting it out, but it came back)

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0