Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
FAQ: Locks, Alarms and Comfort Access

FAQ: Locks, Alarms and Comfort Access
The following FAQ covers the Locking System, the Comfort Access option, and the Alarm System. Any comments, corrections, enhancements, or additions will be added as appropriate.
Lock FAQs
L1. Can I open all my windows/sunroof/roof with the key fob?
L2. Can I close all my windows/sunroof/roof with the key fob?
L3. How does the battery in my key fob work?
L4. What range can I expect from my key fob?
L5. How can I enable/disable auto lock when I drive off?
L6. What does the lock button on the dash board do?
L7. Why do I need to pull the door handle twice to unlock/open the door?
L8. Why is my key fob not working to unlock/lock my car?
L9. Do I have a normal key, why is there a key hole in the door handle?

Alarm FAQs
A1. Does my car have an alarm?
A2. What features does the BMW factory alarm provide?
A3. How can I get the BMW factory alarm?
A4. Can I install the alarm myself?
A5. What is the clown nose?
A6. Can I enable the clown nose without an alarm?
A7. Can I enable/disable the alarm chirp?
A8. Can I test my alarm works without breaking in?

Comfort Access FAQs
C1. What is Comfort Access?
C2. Do I have Comfort Access?
C3. Can I install Comfort Access after purchasing the car?
C4. Can I open all my windows/sunroof/roof with the comfort access?
C5. Can I close all my windows/sunroof/roof with the comfort access?
C6. What range can I expect from my key fob?
C7. Why does my trunk or door not unlock with comfort access?
C8. How does the battery in my key fob work?
C9. What happens if I drive away without my keys?
C10. Will the car auto lock when I walk away?
C11. What if I lock my keys in the car?
C12. What if I wash my pants with the key fob in the pocket?
C13. What's that "rattle gun" sound when opening the door?

Lock FAQs

L1. Can I open all my windows/sunroof/roof with the key fob?

By pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob, all Windows will wind down, the sunroof will open, and the Vertical top will retract. If you let go of the button the open will stop immediately where each opening is up to.

L2. Can I close all my windows/sunroof/roof with the key fob?

In USA/Canada it is not possible to close the Windows, Sunroof, and Convertible roof with the key fob. This is a safety feature. In some other countries it may be possible to do this, comments welcome.

L3. How does the battery in my key fob work?

The battery in the standard key fob is rechargeable, and is charged when inserted in to the socket on the dash board. If you only use one of your key fobs most of the time, BMW recommends that you install the spare fob in the dash occasionally to recharge it (for instance once every 6 months). If the battery runs out the buttons will not unlock the door, but inserting the fob into the dashboard will begin the device recharging and allow the car to start.

L4. What range can I expect from my key fob?

The range of the key fob is not that far, distances have been commonly been reported between 6 and 12 meters, or 20 to 40 feet. However, this distance can vary wildly. Tinting of the windows, especially with metallic tint may significantly reduce range; the antenna for the fob is embedded in the wire traces of the rear window. Holding the fob to bare skin on your body (forehead, chin, skin) is known to extend the range by double or more ... and yes it really does seem to work (try it when no-one’s looking).

L5. How can I enable/disable auto lock when I drive off?

This is a feature that can be enable or disabled using the settings controlled by the BC stick on the left hand of the steering wheel. This is fully documented in your user manual.

L6. What does the lock button on the dash board do?

The lock button can be used to centrally lock or unlock the doors of the car, from inside the car. This can be useful in dangerous location, and will control both doors simultaneously. In most cases a locked door will unlock the first time you pull the inside handle, and open the second time you pull it.

L7. Why do I need to pull the door handle twice to unlock/open the door?

The door lock is disengaged the first time you pull the door handle, the door opens on the second pull. If you have automatic door locking enabled, the doors will lock once the car begins to move, at which point you must double pull the handle, or use the dashboard unlock button to open the doors.

L8. Why is my key fob not working to unlock/lock my car?

The most likely scenario for the fob not working would be the battery running flat. The battery is rechargeable, and charges while plugged into the socket on the dashboard. If you have a spare key fob that doesn’t get used in the car often, it may run flat. BMW recommends you plug spare key fobs into the dash occasionally to recharge.

Another common problem is the use of Tinting on the rear window. As the antenna cable for the fob is embedded in wire traces in the rear window, the key fob range can be dramatically reduced when Tint is applied. Anecdotally, metal based tints are far more prone to this problem than ceramic tints.

Finally the key is programmed to match the car, any issues with a fob failing or changing fobs, will require direct involvement of your dealer.

L9. Do I have a normal key, why is there a key hole in the door handle?

If you haven’t discovered it yet, a physical metal key is embedded in the key fob. To use it, there is a release button at the top in the back of the fob, press the button and the key will slide out. This key can then be used to lock/unlock the door, and lock/unlock the glove box. If you are giving the key to a valet, the key can be removed from the fob, preventing the valet accessing the glove box, inside the glove box is also a switch that will also securely lock the trunk, preventing valet staff from opening the trunk as well.

Alarm FAQs

A1. Does my car have an alarm?

As a general rule, BMW does not include an alarm as standard in the 1er. This may change on a country by country, or vehicle by vehicle basis. All 1ers do include a full immobilizer system preventing the car from being started illegally; this will meet the requirements of Insurance companies in most countries.

To identify whether there is an alarm installed, the most obvious tell-tale is that the clown nose under the rear view mirror will flash, and the car will make a chirp when the car is locked/unlocked. The chirp can be disabled, and it is potentially possible to disable the clown nose, in which case it will require more detailed inspection to see if the alarm contacts are installed under the hood

A2. What features does the BMW factory alarm provide?

The Alarm adds a variety of sensors to detect illegal entry to the car, or attempts to steal the car. The sensors include a hood opening sensor, integration with the door open sensors, a motion detector triggered by car movement, and an internal motion sensor in the ceiling to detect broken windows, and people movement inside the car.

From a notification perspective the alarm adds a siren, activates the clown nose, and provides a activation/deactivation chirp when locking/unlocking the car.

A3. How can I get the BMW factory alarm?

The factory alarm can be purchased from your dealer as a spare part, or from online parts dealers available on this forum. In most cases you would also expect to get the parts installed by the dealer as part of the solution, prices may vary significantly, and including the Alarm at initial order time, may provide a good opportunity for large discounts.

A4. Can I install the alarm myself?

The physical alarm can be installed, and to some extent, activated by a relatively handy person. However, full customization of the alarm, setting options in regards to notifications etc, can only be done by a dealer. There will usually be a charge from the dealer to activate the alarm, this may vary from dealer to dealer, and may be affected by the software version in the car, or other variables.
A very complete DIY for the alarm install can be found here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7536

A5. What is the clown nose?

The clown nose is a reasonably large red light, which is attached to the underneath of the rear view mirror. The clown nose will blink when the alarm is activated.

A6. Can I enable the clown nose without an alarm?

Officially the answer to this is no, unlike other BMW models (notable the E90 3 series), dealer mechanics on this forum have confirmed there is no setting to enable the clown nose without the installation of the alarm.
Some people have installed their own circuitry to generate power and flash the clown nose, but this requires significant modification, and is not covered in the FAQ.

A7. Can I enable/disable the alarm chirp?

If you have an alarm the chirp can be configured by you dealer.

A8. Can I test my alarm works without breaking in?

A common test for the alarm is to open the windows, exit the car, and lock it, at which point if you lean through the window, the motion detector in the ceiling will trigger the alarm. Another test is to release the hood latch prior to exiting and locking the car, and then open the hood, which will also trigger the alarm.

Note the alarm siren is very loud, and care should be taken not to damage hearing, or cause you or others to hurt themselves based on response to the alarm.

Comfort Access FAQs

C1. What is Comfort Access?

Comfort Access is an option that can be installed into 1ers at build time, to make entry, exit and operation of the car more convenient. The main features are; that the doors and trunk can be locked and unlocked without needing to use or hold the key fob, that the car can be started and stopped without inserting the key fob into the dashboard, that windows, sunroof, and convertible top can all be opened and shut from outside the car, and that cars cannot be accidentally locked inside the car.

There is significant debate on the value of Comfort Access, there is known issues with it, and it does require changed usage behaviour to make the most of. However, when used effectively many drivers wouldn’t want to have to go without it.

C2. Do I have Comfort Access?

The most visually obvious signs that you have Comfort Access is the door handle. The door handle has a number of small ridges on the top of the handle, directly above the key hole, this is a touch sensor for locking the car. Another small feature is the key fob has a removable cover on the back of it, which is used to replace the key fob battery. Otherwise there are no significant visual cues that you have Comfort Access.

From a behavioural perspective, the most obvious feature is that when the car is locked, if you have the key fob on or about your person, the door will unlock when you grab the handle.

C3. Can I install Comfort Access after purchasing the car?

There is no currently known method for installing comfort access after market.

C4. Can I open all my windows/sunroof/roof with the comfort access?

The behaviour of the key fob is identical to a standard key fob, all windows, sunroof, and the vertical top will open when the unlock button is held down.

C5. Can I close all my windows/sunroof/roof with the comfort access?

Unlike the standard lock system, comfort access will allow for closing of windows, sunroof, and the vertical top from outside the car. However, for safety reasons the USA/Canada only permits this from the car. It is achieved by pressing and holding the ridges on the top of the door handle, until all openings have completely closed. This may differ in other countries.

C6. What range can I expect from my key fob?

Using the key fob buttons, the range of the key fob seems identical to the standard key fob discussed above. However, the use of the comfort access features to unlock the doors and trunk requires you to be at the car, and the fob within close proximity of your person. Tinting has anecdotally been shown to have detrimental effect on Comfort Access, especially when the tint is metallic based.

C7. Why does my trunk or door not unlock with comfort access?

The use of the comfort access features to unlock the doors and trunk requires you to be at the car, and the fob within close proximity of your person. Tinting has anecdotally been shown to have detrimental effect on Comfort Access, especially when the tint is metallic based. If you have the keys in pockets, purses, bags, try relocating yourself, the bag, the purse, and seeing if the door works.

Also allow your hand to linger on the door handle or trunk handle a second before pulling to allow unlock to complete.

C8. How does the battery in my key fob work?

Unlike the standard lock system, the Comfort Access key fob includes a removable battery, which must be replaced on occasion. The battery is a button CR-2032 battery which can be purchased at many retail stores, and can be replaced by the owner, but is also covered under the warranty. The car will provide a battery icon with a slash through it on the alert area of the dashboard when the battery is getting low, however, the battery can be replaced earlier if the range of the keyboard appears to be reducing.

C9. What happens if I drive away without my keys?

If you unlock the car, enter the car, start it, then take the keys outside of the car, the car will continue to operate. It will then run indefinitely, but you will not be able to start the car again if you switch it off. A key icon with a slash will appear on the alert area of the dashboard to notify you that the key fob is not present in the car.

C10. Will the car auto lock when I walk away?

Comfort Access will not lock the car automatically when you walk away from the car. You must still lock the car by pressing the ridges on the top of the door handle, or pressing the BMW roundel on the key fob.

C11. What if I lock my keys in the car?

In theory you cannot lock the keys in the car or the trunk, antennas mounted in the trunk, and in the back of the arm rest will prevent the car from locking if it detects a key fob inside the trunk, and will cause the trunk to open again if you shut it.

C12. What if I wash my pants with the key fob in the pocket?

Yes it happens, your mileage will vary, but the key fob is not sealed due to having a battery installed and is less likely to survive a wash than the standard key fob.

C13. What's that "rattle gun" sound when opening the door?

A common issue experienced with Comfort Access is a rattling noise when you pull the door handle to open it. This is generally caused by touching both the handle and the lock ridges on the top of the door handle at the same time. The car is rapdily flicking between locked and unlocked. Be careful to only grasp the handle while opening the door, and do not rest your thumb or other part of your handle on the lock ridges.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0