View Single Post
      03-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #183
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I installed my hitch and wiring today. It was pretty easy, even though the 128I requires the bumper cover to come off.

The center belly panel came off first, then the right side one. I left off the center when I put it back together. The bumper cover came off pretty easy. Remove all the bolts, then pull directly back on the bumper and the side clips come off pretty easily.

Then I temporarily installed the hitch. The clearance looked pretty good, but I did not want to do this twice, so I cat the exhaust mount as advised.

Tons of clearance now, and enough of the mount left to still be strong. I radiused the corner of the cut to reduce the chance of cracking.

Next the wiring kit.

I borrowed this from a member early in the thread, and use the Modulite 119147: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Left side of the car in multibulb assembly wires:
MODULITE ----------------------------------------------135i
LEFT TURN -------------------------------------- Blue wire with green stripe
BRAKES ----------------------------------------- Purple with Yellow stripe

Left side of the car on Tail light bulb harness:
TAIL LIGHTS ------------------------------------ Purple wire with Light Blue stripe

Right side of the car in multibulb assembly:
RIGHT TURN ------------------------------------- Blue wire with Brown stripe

Wire colors were fine for the 128i, and I used Posi-Taps instead of the supplied crappy crimp splices.

I will use this to tow very occasionally, so I elected to keep the trailer connector in the trunk. I will hang it out when I tow. Mostly it will be used for a bicycle rack. I tested the wiring with a trailer wiring tester and it worked perfectly.

It fit nice, and is a clean look.