View Single Post
      03-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta View Post
I'm interested in opinions on whether a Harman Kardon Sound System would be a good option to go for in my 1M? I'm definitely getting a Professional Radio & DAB but is getting the Harman Kardon Sound System a step too far? Am I adding too much weight? Would I be better off getting the Loudspeaker System BMW or just leaving the package standard?

http://www.bmw.harmankardon.com/broc...w_1_series.pdf
Let me take a moment of your time....

Background information: I am the kind of person who has a really kick ass sound system at home. Two really high-quality loudspeakers, which are hooked up on BI-amp (Meaning the amplify that I using to run the speakers has separate amplification units Per Speaker (the drivers in the speakers) to produce really powerful and CLEAR sound). There system is paired with a powerful Yamaha amp as well as a bi-subwoofer setup to maximize the bass and eliminate bass nodes (the absence of sound as you move throughout the room). I am also the kind of person who does not use the cheap apple head phones (opting for ear-buds or over the ear head phones of the higher quality brands). That said, I also prefer cd's to mp3's although the latter is more practical.

In sum, I like my music and know a little about sound and love having it as part of my car.

Recently I had experiance with the both the HIFI system and the Harmon Kardon system in my local BMW dealership and I have the following opinion/ findings.

Both systems have have 10 speakers and a Amp

HIFI: This sound set up is decent, speakers are located in reasonable areas throughout the cabin. However, the sound is lousy... The system cannot be played too loud and the sound coming out of the speakers is not refined enough to call it a "HIFI" system. The system has the ability to hit the high frequencies in music with easy (most systems can) but where it falls short is harmonizing any middle and bottom end frequencies. This leaves the listening experience dull and in some cases as if the music is being played under-water. Further, when you push the head unit to push the amp which will in turn push the speaker/ drivers the system lets you down big time with amplifying a significant amount of distortion. That said, you are not really able to exceed 1/2 volume on the head unit without picking up a lot of disturbing sounds coming from the speakers.

Conclusion: The HIFI system is good, not really good if you have a real appreciation for music. The system will disappoint and it really does not "Fit" the kind of product that a BMW is.

Harmon Kardon: Where the shortfalls of the HIFI system exist the Harmon Kardon system picks up the pieces - mostly. The sound system has the same set up but everything is that much more refined. The sound is more clear, across a variety of levels and music genres, the base is more refined as well in this set-up. The speaker system can be driven a little hard before the system starts to distort (around 3/4 volume ) speaker buzz is not as bad as it is in the HIFI system but you can still push the whole thing out of the comfort zone. Great things about this system is that it can produce satisfying sound right out of the box and using the manual EQ (if you know where to slide everything) you can make a really decent sound come from the speakers. That said, the system really is lacking a lot of low end and there can be some better middle frequencies improvement. The SUBS under your seat are really small, so much that they are more mid's than lows. The bass is clear but not over dominating and when pushed it too will distort and make for disturbing sound.

Conclusion: If you don't mind having a solid system for a little extra the HK system is the way to go if music is slightly important for you.

Recommendation: I am personally going to opt for the HIFI system and roll the car into my trusted Car Audio shop to upgrade (Speakers, amp, and add a custom sound box in the truck compartment left side where there is a dead space (with a small sub). Here in Canada they want $4900.00 just for the change to have the Harmon Kardon system, tied together with all kinds of shit that people don't need. That said in the US the system is an ~$900.00. My endevore will cost me $1500.00 plus Canadian Taxes.

2nd Recommendation: I am not entirely confident that truly excellent sound can be achieved in this car's cabin because it is such a small space. I think that because the volume is so compromised/ confined that sound will constructively and destructively detract from the whole experience. That is not to say that you cannot have good sound inside a BMW 1M, its just physically not possible. I am confident that with a little help from the aftermarket and a little research a buyer can improve the sound to be more than acceptable inside the vehicle.

Don't worry about weight, they car has more balls that most people are able to drive anyways. Don't worry about the re-sale market either, those people (like me cough, cough) will try to screw every penny out of you when it comes time to sell your car. Despite a sound system from the factory or the aftermarket.

Also keep in mind that once you have a home set up which is able to produce crystal clear sound without distortion everything will sound lousy... It is an old story, once you have the best or close to what the best is able to produce all other things do not fair well by comparison.

I hope I was helpful
Appreciate 0