View Single Post
      10-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #15179
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Thrashed it all weekend at Barber MSP.

My biggest issue with the car was oil temperature. I need to verify that it wasn't the engine power reduction for brake heat but I think it was putting me in limp mode for oil temperatures about 2/3 through a session. I'd have to go easy for a half lap or more and then I could go the rest of the session. This happened anywhere from 60F-80F at the track so summer sessions are not feasible until it's sorted out.

The limp mode is dangerous on the track. It can happen in the middle of a down shift and the engine will NOT rev match. If you're not paying attention and let the clutch up you'll chirp the rear tires and slow dramatically which can be very bad when someone behind you expects you to be relatively fast through a section. At minimum you'll have to essentially coast through a section and get in good position to let others by while you cool off.

Other than that and an issue with something scraping (I think it's the brake dust shield), the car was great. Lots of pad deposits on the rear rotors I think from the e-diff activating, but they go away in a couple turns. They'll also come back randomly (not yet found a pattern). Not sure if this is a DS2500 problem or a DSC issue. The fronts did not develop deposits from what I could tell.

I don't think the stock 128i brakes would survive the track even with RBF600 and some upgraded pads. The F30 335i fronts and 328i rears with Ferodo DS2500 did quite well with next to zero fade, but braking is my current weakness so I probably didn't drive them as hard as a more skilled driver. The pedal got quite soft after my first session but I believe I had some air in the DSC system that got out into the brake lines. I will be bleeding this week.

Last edited by WDE82; 10-05-2020 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0