View Single Post
      06-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #25
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

I bought my Deep Sea (dark, sparkly) Blue Metallic 2012 135i 2 years ago, and though it's needed a detail ever since, it has not yet received one. Did clay bar it once, and it helped, but not much. Wax every 3 months or so, or when it stops beading. But there are deeper problems which need to be addressed.

Main issue is water spots on the hood that were there when I got it.. There is also quite a bit of spider webbing, all over.

I have been alternating between Ultimate No-Rinse (which I usually rinse lightly anyway) and Meguiars Ultimate Wash&Wax shampoo, depending upon level of contamination and available time. I've loved Meguiars since I discovered about 15 years ago how much easier their wax is to remove than anything else I had used. Recently picked up Clay Bar Kit (including spray detailer), M105 Ultra Cut, M205 Ultra Finish, Show Car Glaze #7, and Ultimate Wax Liquid (which isn't wax at all, but a polymer protective sealant.)
I have a 10" Costco "Waxmaster" orbital polisher somewhere, but haven't seen it since the move. Don't have a decent variable-speed dual-action 6" random orbital sander yet, but have a friend with a 7424XP. May borrow, may buy. Planning on 2 or 3 each Orange (cut), white (finish) and black (glaze and wax) pads. Plenty of clean microfiber towels.

We're having a car show at work next Thursday, and I'd like my car looking its best.
But I'm out of town this weekend, and won't have a 6-8 hour block of time available to do the whole exterior at once.

So, what I'm planning is:
Wash with Meg's Ultimate Sunday night, to get the big pieces off.
Probably do engine bay and interior that night, too.

Wash with Dawn Monday after work to strip wax and decontaminate.
Clay Bar Monday night, after strip/clean.

Cut Tuesday evening.
Finish Tuesday night after cut.

Glaze Wednesday evening.
Rub down with Denatured Alcohol.
Ultimate Wax.

So I'm wondering:

a) if I can find it, should I try to get suitable pads for the 10" polisher? Or just chuck it and get a nice one so as to not damage my finish?

b) is Black the right pad for both the Glaze and the "Wax"?

c) am I shooting myself in the foot by spreading it out over several days? Car is garaged at night, but it's my DD so just sits out in the parking lot at work during the day.

d) would I use Spray Detailer or ONR or Something Else or Nothing at the start of each evening's events to get off the day's contamination?

e) would there be any benefit to applying a second coat of the Ultimate Wax either right after the first, or first thing the next morning?

f) where in the process do you recommend doing lights, glass, tire spray and plastic trim? There's always a little overspray from those, and very likely some from the polishes and sealer. I wipe it off as best I can, but want to get the best appearance and longest-lasting protection I can.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 06-22-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0