View Single Post
      01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
The M3 LTWs did come with rear seats in stock form. They could be removed of course. I bought my LTW in '96, BMW dealers were not able to sell stripped down versions of an M3 and charge a $10,000 premium, and there weren't enough people who wanted to buy them for racing, so BMW offered the dealers a $4K, or $5K rebate to the dealers to move them. In June of '96, numerous (at least 3) dealers in the SF Bay area had M3LTWs for sale, some with 2 or 3 cars. Very few (less than 200, I believe) were brought to the US.

Without A/C they were not so practical as road cars, in summer. I had mine retrofitted with the A/C from a wrecked M3 by a local BMW shop here in the area, you could not tell it was not factory installed.

It was a fantastic road car, I miss it. Except for the Porsche Cayman S, it was the best handling car I ever owned. I sold it for an E46 M3, mistakenly believing more power would make me happier. I was wrong. Which is why I am not so concerned about whether the M1 will have 400 HP as some others hope. If BMW gets the steering, handling, trackability, and road feel right, I will be satisfied.
I know where you are coming from. I have a 95' M3 right now that I've had a hard time finding a replacement for. To be honest, the Genesis coupe is most aligned with what I want in a car these days. . . simple, LSD, RWD, and reasonably priced. The M1 is a little more than what I wanted to spend, but I'll certainly go for it if it ends up being spectacular. If anyone can get creative with power delivery and turbo power being delivered N/A style, it's BMW. I'm optimistic.
Appreciate 0