View Single Post
      07-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
TylerD
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you can find an LL4 rated oil... you could use that where LL1 is spec'd. LL4 meets LL1 rating and is backwards compatible. But you can't go the other way!(use LL1 where LL4 is spec'd).

Dackel

This is what I use over here in Germany. You have to be careful bc Castrol has some half or semi synthetic oils on offer too. This oil is FULL synthetic oil.

Castrol Edge Titanium Fst 0 W-40 A3/B4 Engine Oil Engine Oil Castrol Oil Filler Pendant specification/Approvals: Acea A3/B3 A3/B4 Engine Oil; API SN/CF/VW 502/505 00; BMW Long

https://www.amazon.de/Castrol-Motore...gateway&sr=8-3

That is what I was using too (with your recommendation ). Like Thunderguts said though, those "old" bottles are just the remains that get replaced by the new ones eventually:

new bottles

You can also check that on the castrol website. No more FS 0w40 from castrol with LL-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you can find an LL4 rated oil... you could use that where LL1 is spec'd. LL4 meets LL1 rating and is backwards compatible.
As far as I know, that is only one part of the story. LL-04 is highly restricted in its additives like sulfate ashes and other stuff, that is good for prolonging engine life, but problematic in diesel/patrol-driven cars with particle filters (DPF/OPF). LL-01 does not suffer from these limitations.

So if you are driving a petrol-driven car without an OPF and BMW recommended an oil with LL-01 in the first place, then that should be the right choice. I guess
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50