View Single Post
      01-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #69
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Scott26 is a BMW insider, if he says it will have 345PS there is no reason to believe otherwise.

I wouldn't be so quick to say you can't tune N55 either, but I think tuning without other modifications is foolish anyway. N54 already can be provoked into limp mode stock on a track, it doesn't need more heat to deal with; hence the BMW performance power kit parts and why the M1 will have a better intercooler.
I don't think anybody said the N55 "can't be tuned" it's just looking that it won't be AS tunable as the N54 from early reports of the engine and from the tuners themselves.
And the limp mode aspect of the 335i was primarily the early ones from what I remember.
I haven't heard of any stock 335i's going into limp mode on stock power at a track (well maybe if running in 100+ degree heat) since the oil coolers were put in them.
And I know several people who have tracked their tuned 335i's without overheating.
I personally beat on mine from time to time in canyon runs in 105 degree heat, and never saw above 260 degrees (usually 255 at most). True you don't drive as hard in canyons as you do at a track.
Normal running is 240-245. Moderately hard driving is 250 degrees. Limp modes kicked in at 290 or so in the early models. Again, but after years on the 335i boards, I haven't heard of anyone going into limp at a track since the pre March 2007 cars. Anyway, that's a whole different topic.

I would expect the first M car (not the SUV) with FI to have upgraded performance parts (intercooler, air intake, oil cooler, etc) over the non M cars, that would be a no brainer.
Appreciate 0