View Single Post
      03-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

As with the rear suspension arms, the windup of the front suspension arm bushings contribute to the total wheel rate (effective spring rate at the wheel location). I have not tested the OE wishbone and OE tension arm to see how much they contribute to the wheel rate, but I have tested the M tension arm. The M wishbone contributes nothing to the wheel rate because both ends have ball joints.

The method of testing is pretty simple. Hold the bushing in a vice and load with barbell weights:

Name:  M Tension Windup Test.jpg
Views: 6403
Size:  164.4 KB

Measure deflection with a caliper:

Name:  Measuring.jpg
Views: 6303
Size:  163.7 KB

Plot the results:

Name:  Front Tension Wheel Rate.jpg
Views: 7591
Size:  69.6 KB

Because I am measuring deflection at the ball joint and not the wheel centre, the results need to be adjusted by the motion ratio of the wheel relative to the ball joint (= approx 16/19). Loads decrease by 16/19 and deflections increase by 19/16. The net effect is a wheel rate due to bushing windup of 5 lb/in using the M tension arm. OE arms together are likely to contribute about twice this wheel rate.

CORRECTION: the motion ratio argument is wrong. When the ball joint moves 1" vertically, so does the wheel, so the wheel rate due to bushing windup is actually 7 lb/in, not 5 lb/in.

Last edited by fe1rx; 03-06-2015 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: logic error
Appreciate 2