10-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK135i View Post
Just a thought, do we need to bring our passports for this trip?
Yup! Plus most hotels in Italy like to hold your passport over night. In the very least they need your passport number or they make a photo copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
I got my international permit yesterday.
Will we need tax stickers for any of the countries?

Loving that route so far.
*Btw... most international driver's permits are only valid for one year for the date of issue. Its pretty easy to get one thru the military bases.

*Driving on the Austrian(A) autobahns - they require an Austrian autobahnvignette. About eight euros for a ten day sticker. You MUST put the sticker on your windshield or it could cost you a 500 euro fine. Btw it's only a 110 euro fine if you don't have(buy) the vignette/sticker! lol I thought German law was hard!

Italy(I) does not require one - they have toll roads though. Be we wll be driving the back roads - ie: no tolls for us!

I was surprised to see that Stelvio did not charge for thier mountain pass. IF they did... I did not see where you must pay! lol

For Swizerland(CH) you need a autobahnvignette as well. But they only sell one per YEAR. I think it costs around 30 euros. But we shouldn't need one of those, bc we will also be only using back (country) roads.

*Route looks awesome but HUGE! I think that will take us a few days to cover. We need to find some good places to stay in or have rest breaks at.

Dack
Appreciate 0