04-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You know, reading about it online I've seen a lot about the "liability" issue - and frankly, I don't get it. I don't expect them to warranty the part (but I do expect them to warranty their labor) or anything.

We all know it's because they want to mark up the part, which is BS if you ask me. I'm fine with paying a flat-rate fee but I don't want to get raped because I bought expensive parts. For example, if I were having them install OEM shocks and springs, my car would take up the same amount of time and floor space as if they were installing a $3000 coil-over kit - so why should I have to pay a 30% markup? Their overhead didn't increase one cent. If that's not gouging the customer, I don't know what is. [/rant]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It is because the tech will be learning on your car, with your aftermarket parts. And the aftermarket being the aftermarket... things never go together like OE parts(shocks) do. Maybe missing parts, no instructions or skipped steps. There "will be" a learning curve for the Tech to install your aftermarket coil over kit.

I'm sure the kit you have is good and quite reputable... but Techs are here to make money. They get paid on the max hours they can turn/punch out. You have to look at it from the Tech's or Shop's view... why would they wrench on your car for say six hours... and charge you say eight hours for the job... when that same Tech could work the same six hours and turn fifteen hours in COD (normal) repair jobs - that he has done hundreds of times before.

Your gonna need to find a shop that has done coil over installs before and one that doesn't have a problem with you bringing your own parts. Or... do the install yourself or with friends.

Dack

Bimmer Bob... Dack basically covered the bases, but ill add my .02

First you didnt mention if you were taking it to a BMW dealer or an INDY shop... but after re-reading your post, i suspect INDY shops.

Nothing wrong either way, but you answered your own question, but left out some details.

a Dealer will have all types of possible warranty concerns down the road, so we'll just dismiss them for now..

As far as an Indy shop, when i worked at one, we used to accept customer supplied parts... and if i recall ( its been over 15 years ) we charged a slight premium in labor because in reality a business plan for a repair shop is to make a gross profit on PARTS and LABOR to make there monthly nut. It really is that simple.. Second to that is what you mentioned.. Liability.. Until you are sued for 40 million dollars because you were the "shop" you wouldnt understand.. Just think, i take your $3000 coil overs, in stall them and charge you 300.00... 1 week later the shaft breaks and you tee bone a car with a child in the passanger seat... that person sues you... you get your lawyer.. he asks theses 3 specific questions:

where did you buy coil over >>>>>> send law suite

who was the manufacturer of part >>>> send law suite

where did you have it installed >>>> send law suite

and although me you and the rest of the world knows it probably wasnt the installer... the more ins companies get involved, the quicker the pay out and resolution as they all split the cost to make it go away....

you can blame everone that uses an ambulance chaser lawyer for that ..

i hate it and detest it ... but i wish i knew i had a better answer..

its a world of wholesale vs retail resale parts wise.. Labor is so expensive, that the gross profit is small...

my .02