View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #315
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
You all hit on good points. I think it comes down to variation. You push to the edge of CNS overload....then reduce weights and volume by as much as 50% and de-load for a week or more if needed. Spend that time just chasing the pump and getting blood in there. I look at it as feeder sets.

Harris brings up a good point as well. I never train front delts directly. I also superset all my bench sets with face pulls. It teaches you the concept of retracting your scapula, and you need that rear delt/rear back strength for proper posture.

As far as rep ranges go, I think you have to find what works best for you. Our bodies are made up of a combination of fast twitch and slow twitch muscles....and each respond differently to certain rep ranges.
I have a forward head posture, and lumbar lordosis; so I do corrective exercises for those. I still have the 531 app on phone and mine was set for a de-load after 3 weeks. It worked great when I first started on it but then it got harder and harder. With Big Boring Sets it was alot of volume. App does it all for you so you don't have to write anything down which was a huge plus. Reason I know that it was hard on my CNS was due to poor recovery (4-5 days after a leg day), and declining t-levels. My speculation is that either too much volume was putting my body in flee or fight response, and therefore raising cortisol levels, or my t-levels were declining due to age and therefore slowing down my recovery. In anycase cutting back on volume has definitely helped with recovery.

After being sick for a week, and being out of the gym for two weeks I finally went today and did legs. I have a video footage that I am going to put up on YouTube and link it here in just a bit.

Last edited by harris69; 02-16-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0