United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Euro Delivery of a future classic - my 128i experience

I start this with the premise that my 2007 328xi has been a delight to own. Comfortable, reliable, and incredible to drive, I’ve been a happy camper since I bought it CPO in February of 2008. A couple of options shy of being perfect, my eye has always wandered and I test drove lots of replacement alternatives but when getting back behind the wheel those newer choices failed to compare. I thought I’d own it until it fell apart.

The direction BMW has been taking has meant, to me, there were fewer and fewer options left. I was excited for the new F30, until I drove it and realized it lost the magic that I had grown to love. I won’t get into what I dislike with the F30, but it meant that if I wanted to replace my car I had better move fast.
I read Jalopnik’s article on how the 128i will be the next great classic BMW (http://jalopnik.com/why-the-bmw-1-se...ssic-508797316), and I knew it was the right choice, because I had been thinking the same thing. RWD, uncomplicated naturally-aspirated BMW I6 engine, hydraulic, connected steering, it really is going to be the last of its kind. So I pulled the decision plug and decided to tie my purchase to a previously planned trip to Greece. I had always wanted to do a Euro Delivery since I had learned about it, and this was my chance.

Quickly acting, I contacted several dealers and asked if they could arrange a delivery within a window of 2-3 days in mid July. Many wouldn’t bother, but one was able and willing to slot me in, so I placed my order for my 2013 128i in early June.

I wanted the Carbon Black with Oyster interior because I think it’s a great looking color combination but after considering the upkeep with the paint and leather, decided another classy combo could be had with Mineral Gray and Coral Red. The other options were easy to decide on, M-Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Lighting Package, Harmon Kardon sound and the security system round out the options. The Tech package was the only major thing I left out because I didn’t want maps to get outdated and I have pretty good system with my windshield-mounted iPhone as my GPS when I need it. It’s worked well for years, why complicate things. Oh yeah, and the requisite 6-speed manual transmission.

As I mentioned, I had planned my trip to Munich as a rather last minute addition to my previously planned trip to Greece. I planned my trip to fly on the new Boeing 787, and I was able to do so on LOT Polish airlines. Upon a late arrival in Athens, I was able to spend 6 days in Athens and Santorini. Santorini is just about picture perfect, and it was a great beginning to my European experience.

On July 12th I left Athens for Munich. I arrived at Welt at about noon and was able to walk around the gift shop for awhile before my 1pm appointment with my new car. The check-in process was quick and it seemed to be a slow day for deliveries. The pick up experience is really great and my consultant was aware of my familiarity with how everything in the car worked so he just allowed me to take it all in. Then I was able to go outside with my new car and take pictures before my factory tour and museum visit.

I wish I had more time to spend in Munich, but I had a packed itinerary to make my next goal: crossing the highest pass in the Alps (Route de la Bonette) and driving over the highest bridge in the world. The latter was the main feature of my trip, but I wanted to make the best of what was in between. I had to make the most of 4 days and the next 1600 miles were phenomenal.

I’ll just let the pictures do the talking from now.
Attached Images

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862

Last edited by LuisBoston; 10-28-2022 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0