View Single Post
      01-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I don't know that this is what you mean but it seems to me that there is a common misconception about being able to shorten stopping distance with nicer brakes. For the most part different nice expensive brakes can not make the car stop any faster. Maybe a little bit of benefit from lowing the weight. The real reason people modify their brakes is to hold up to and dissipate heat. Your stopping distance is limited by your traction not your brakes. Your breaks are more than strong enough to lock up your wheels. What more do you think they can do beyond that? Your brakes have stopped your wheels from rolling at that point. If you want shorter stopping distance look for better tires, lower weight, or better suspension. If you want to keep your breaks cool enough that they won't get to the point that the that your breaks can't stop the wheels then go for pads, fluid, and better airflow. $8K of Brembo brakes won't shorten you stopping distance. They will stand up to heat better but there will not be a performance gain. Someone correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the to shorten stopping distance you need to lower momentum with less weight or increase the tires traction.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0