View Single Post
      04-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Help with brake issue?

Been having a recurring brake issue. There is a vibration in the steering wheel at certain speeds when braking. Seems to come and go in intensity over time, sometimes better or worse.

Background:
About 1.5 years ago new rotors (Zimmerman) and pads (Cool Carbon) were installed. Fast forward about a year and I noticed the first sign of vibration. Shop that did the install checked it and didn't find anything wrong. I also started to notice a squeal when backing up that I thought was parking brake related. Was also checked and adjusted but no real issue found.

Fast forward another few months and the issue was worse. Took it to a different shop out of necessity and they checked the brakes, only recommended replacing front rotors with OEM. Said they often see 1-piece rotors have an issue vs OEM and were insistent. Found no other apparent brake issues. This stopped the vibration at the time, but it only took a month before the issue has returned.

Additional info:
-Doesn't pull under any braking intensity or when not braking.
-No vibration when not braking, wheel/tire balance checked.
-Braking power seems normal.
-Wear/dust seems even L/R. Wheels are black so tough to tell.
-Neither side seems much hotter when parked, maybe passenger side? Has the oil cooler venting on that side of course.
-Driver side rotor has a very minor raised concentric scoring about 3/4 way towards the outside. Very slight.
-Tried re-bedding and it only makes it worse, not better.
-107k miles on the car.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Appreciate 0