View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #336
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Just looks like an excuse to upgrade your turbos! Any idea what you would go with if you confirm they're toast?

- Austin
Yeah, I'm between the CES Motorsport T4 twin scroll kit, the DBV2 v-band single scroll tubular bottom mount kit, and upgraded twins from Omar at Hydra Performance. They all have their pros.

As much as I LOVE the power delivery and response from the OEM twins, and honestly, the car is PERFECT as it is on an E40 track tune from Wedge, I really want to simplify the engine bay and have a forced induction setup that is more serviceable. The Hydra twins would be amazing, but I'll still need to run all of these inlets and so on, and while I believe they're the best option out there, I really don't want to deal with ever removing them or having issues.

The CES kit is gorgeous and extremely well thought out. It's a log manifold, which is great for a compact package, it's CNC machined and it's a T4 Twin Scroll flange, which is ideal for spool and transient response. It is definitely a pricey option, but similarly priced to the DBV2 kit.

The DBV2 kit offers some amazing things too. It's still a bottom mount design, only longer equal length runners, tubular and V-band everything. That part is super appealing to me, because it makes this a very easy kit to service if I have any turbo issues or want to change hotsides, etc...

As for power goals, they are quite low. Most important thing to me is to keep this thing cool, which means low boost. Obviously want to keep it reliable and keep it simple, too, which means no PI, no overdriven HPFP, no piggybacks. I'll likely set the first tune around 450whp and do a 500whp tune as well. A track like Big Willow, Laguna and CCW1 Buttonwillow would be good with big power, but the other tight tracks will be better around 400-450.

What I can say, is Omar from Hydra Performance, John from CES and John from DBV2 are all AWESOME dudes. I've chatted with them each on and off for months and would realistically be happy with either setup on my car.

Which way I'll lean will be decided soon... Sooner than I'd hoped, honestly, because all I want right now is seat time!

I'll do a full writeup on my adventure to Buttonwillow shortly, but let me tell you, the MCS 2ways are a game changer. I never knew suspension could feel this good.
Appreciate 2