View Single Post
      09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
atomic837
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4, 2009 135i, 2016 M2

Trunk emergency!

I've done my research, searched the message forums, and have been pulling my hair out all day...

I am storing the car for a while (09 135i coupe), and I decided to remove the battery and keep that in my house to keep it away from the freezing cold of the winter. Went ahead and removed it from the car, closed the trunk, and immediately got a sinking feeling in my stomach.... there is no way to open the trunk without power.

I've read some of the other posts about dead batteries and how you can just jump start it from the front posts under the hood... unfortunately, I think that since there is no battery in the trunk and the leads are not connected, all attempts to charge or jump start have failed. My battery charger doesn't even light up as being "connected" when I try to use it with the hood posts.

I don't have the ski pass-through, so no joy there with trying to get into the trunk from the inside... heck, I've even pulled a bunch of padding and such from the rear seats in hope of finding a hole to reach through... nothing's worked.

Oh yeah, and my model year has just missed the cutoff with the actual keyhole in the trunk latch. Lucky me.

I'm at a loss for what to do now... any suggestions? Is there some way to get power to the electronics so I can unlatch the damn trunk release? Maybe through a fuse or relay? What about using one of those cigarette lighter jump start contraptions? Would that even work with no battery in the trunk? Help!
Appreciate 0