09-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
My 1M does it also. Dealership tech said it was normal and related to the dual-mass flywheel and slack in the drive-train. Local BMW tuning shop confirmed the findings as well.

Below is the link to my original post about it...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565832

From what I can gather it is annoying but normal on these cars; you'll get used to it...

Enjoy your 1M!!!
I keep hearing about the dual-mass flywheel being responsible for everything from global warming to jerks, clutch slippage, etc. The dual mass flywheel is actually intended to dampen vibrations between engine and tranmission.

The jerk you feel is probably exacerbated by the LIGHTENED 1M flywheel that has a smaller mass and less inertia. So when you back off the throttle, the motor acts as a brake on the gearbox via the clutch/flywheel. A heavier flywheel has more rotational inertia due the the greater mass and it keeps spinning. That is one reason not every car has a lightened flywheel. It makes the car spool up faster BUT the opposite is true...it decelerates faster.

So what you have to do is learn how to shift. Most distributorless cars nowadays with fly-by-wire throttle have quicker response both on and off throttle. If you take your foot completely off the gas pedal during a shift, the motor has been temporarily shut down. Try keeping a slight bit of throttle during your shift and it should smooth out.

OR you can trade it for a Jaguar! : )
Appreciate 0