01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
So it has come time to replace the OE PS2s. I am almost at 17k miles and they are essentially useless at this point. ... that $300 could go to other uses if the cheaper tires would serve my needs adequately.
I think the fact that you've run your PS2s to 17k miles largely answers your question. By this point they are nearly 4 years old and bare virtually no relation to the tires they were when new- I would call them totally unsuitable for the 1M as a performance car, but probably perfectly suitable to toodle around on as long as you don't find standing water or push it.

Assuming you're fine with this situation, if you get PSS and do this again you'll get ~5k miles of good performance service, ~5k miles of so-so service, followed by ~10k+ miles of significantly sub par service. I could make the argument that spending the same money overall for an S04 or Dunlop DW replaced at ~15k miles would likely give you better overall average performance, so that's a viable option to consider.

Either of these options is essentially admitting that you're giving up much of the performance the 1M is capable of when you're on the street the majority of the time. I just fitted my 3rd set of PSS, 6th set of tires, and I was again struck by how sensitive the car is to good, fresh rubber. However I also enjoy how the car feels on a set of relatively slippery rubber (ie cold RS3s) and it did cross my mind to fit a set of harder rubber with a wide slip angle just to play with. Unfortunately I'm not sure anything suitable is made in the correct sizes, so it's a bit of a project.