Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM_UK View Post
Could be a stuck thermostat, i.e. stuck shut, not opening when it should putting additional pressure into the system.
The DME would store a code for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Vannoy View Post
I have a similar issue with my Jetta TDI, think boost pressure is lifting the head slightly and pushing into the coolant. There's no coolant in oil or vise versa. I am going to try replacing the head bolts as it's likely the issue is that one or more has stretched in the 200k miles it has and hopefully avoid a head gasket job.

My cooling system holds pressure and leak is coming from the overflow...

The problem is... coolant is under 1bar (max pressure) before the cap opens up. Engine oil is under 5bar(max). So... IF your head gasket is leaking... you will have oil in the coolant. Not vice versa. Btw... TDi's use stretch head bolts(I believe) so you will need new ones. And use a good quality triple square bit with a good tq wrench. I would change the HG is your gonna do new head bolts. But I think your problem is elsewhere.

Use a pressure tester for the res cap AND cooling system(exp tank/hoses etc) for leaks.

OP... that NAPA HG tester is better bc the fluid will change color when CO2 is introduced to the coolant. Using a CO2 "sniffer" might work. It also might not... especially since you only have this coolant leaking problem under heavy boost.

Dack
Sooo this is it
Attached Images