05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #26
Flagler ///M135
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
That metallic noise you are hearing is from your crank. I had the same issue on my N54 and had bearing failure around 85,000 miles and I do track my car heavily. Dackelone can attest to that. I was told that by my mechanic here in Germany when he checked it out. He also stated to me that N54 and N55 bearings will last around that mileage before they start wearing down and failing. My engine is getting rebuilt right now with a new crank and bearings. Everything else checked out fine.

I would stay away from a used engine because you don't know how the previous owner treated it. If you can afford it, I would just get it rebuilt. That way, you know that you have a sort of 0 mileage engine under the hood again. Food for thought.

My damage to my wallet here in Germany is close to 8K euros ($9100). Compared to a new engine here in Germany that run for almost 15K euros and that is just the head and block.

What type of internals did you use on the rebuild. I have zero mechanic experience, but at these prices, I may have to grab some tools and go to town. I have nothing to lose at this point. I want to remove the oil pan and see what type of damage I have before I go forward, but I have to remove a subframe and I'm just afraid!

Looking at other forums, there are a lot of people having issues with rods and bearings...from stock to modified engines. My gut feeling is that there will be a class action down the road, there has to be!