Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
You may run into problems with a 40 series up front when you're lowered. You'd probably be fine with a 35 series tho.

For comparison on a stock height car I had to do a ton of work to get 245/40s to fit. Trimming, camber, fender rolling/pulling, etc.
Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
I am currently running 235/40-18 MPSS on 8.5-18-45 Forgestar CF5. No rubbing - zero. Very cozy fit though on the strut side to be sure. I have BMWP springs which lower the car by about 0.5 inches. I also have Dinan camber plates which raise the car by about 0.25. So net lower is about 0.25. Negative 1.5 camber is dialed in. I'd feel confident that with your setup you can make it work.

I have 245/35 on the back with the same wheels. I tried them on the front for fun and they will need a 3 mm spacer to work with no rub on the strut side.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am very much consdering 235/40's now. However, I do see that you have -1.5 camber in the front which helps with fender clearance. I don't have camber plates, and I had my alignment shop knock out the pins to get -0.9 camber up front I believe.

My car also is dropped much more than your suspension. It may be hard to tell in the photos I have posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
You're 235/40 front 245/35 rear?

On a separate note why is it that so many folks here don't understand basic tire sizing? They only bother to look at width not realizing how profile changes height.

OP I would much rather run 245/35 square with a 2-3mm spacer up front than rim a 235/40 which is 0.6" taller than stock. That alone would be enough to cause running due to being too tall. 245 gives you benefit of more traction up front while maintaining stock height. If I were to upsize, I wouldn't go more than 225/40 which is 1/3" more. It'll provide a more comfortable ride, fill out wheel gap and work well with factory wheel widths. But seeing how you got 8.5" et45, go 245/35 and pick up a spacer from Apex (free s&h).
I do realize that increasing width also causes the profile to increase in height. But I did not realize a jump from 225/40 -> 235/40 would be that significant (0.6"+ as you said?). Definitely something to consider now too then, as I really do not want to have to deal with any rubbing issues. I want my wheels/tires to fit right, the first time without having to do the run around and trial and error. That's what all you awesome forum members are for! :]

I would like to run a larger width up front. However I am a bit afraid of changing the cars handling characteristics too much if I go 245/35 square. I do want a bit more front end grip which is why I am considering up-sizing the front tires from what I have now (225/40->235/40).

As of now, when I push the car into the canyons as hard and aggressively as I possibly can. With the F:225 & R:255 MPSS, no matter how aggressive I turn or carve in the canyons, the rears will NEVER break loose or slip (into an oversteer) and I will always get into an understeer situation first.

I do realize, that does sound a bit weird. But having this car for 2+ years now, and being used to its handling characteristics at the limit, I do not want to modify it very much as I am afraid of crashing in a stone wall or worse off a cliff.

However, I would like to reduce the understeer a little bit, with hopes by going wider from 225->235.

Added note, as I said above. I do not have camber plates, therefore my Front camber is -0.9 degrees (my alignment shop knocked the pins out). So going 245's will also not be possible without fender rubbing I believe, especially so with a 3mm spacer, pushing the wheels&tires out further towards my fender.
Edit:: My KW V1's has the car lowered pretty significantly (as pictured in the first post). I have to take that into account as well.

I just checked tirerack as well, and they don't offer a 235/35/18 in MPSS. -doh!-
Appreciate 0