View Single Post
      08-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #40
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Hi Greg,

I have always been interested in detailing my own car and this Summer I decided to take the job on. I'm still on the prep phase and making up a "list " so to speak before i do it.

My car: Jet Black 2012 128i. Daily driven here in the Northeast since getting it in 2013.

My situation: live in an apartment complex, have closed garage with access to power, no water access to do a thorough wash (biggest hindrance for me) aside from coinop wash at least 10mi away.

No experience in using a random orbital polisher. Have always done things by hand before. Have experience in claying, putting on wax etc but aside from that, nothing else aside from usual tidying up.

I have made a list of things to buy for this detail job and I stuck to the basics. If this is overkill please let me know:

1. Griot's G 10813LNGCRD 6in orbital OR PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher (is one better than the other, I'd like to spend the least money on this if possible)

2. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze M105 AND M205

3. Chem guys Hex logic light-medium AND medium-heavy pads

4. Whatever clay bar is available online (used meguiar's before)

5. Infinite use detail juice

6. Microfiber towels aplenty

My plan: just to take scratches and swirls off and overall just give it a freshening up pretty much. It's a driver after all but if possible i like for it to look it's best.

I always think of cars like a good pair of shoes, I don't want to wear/use them when they look filthy. Obviously a black car is much harder to maintain compared to leather shoes, and mine being a driver makes it so much harder. But I know it's doable so hopefully you can help a newbie willing to learn.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0