View Single Post
      09-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Here's a thought on the 18 vs 19 argument: all of the test 1M's that we've seen have had 19" rims. If this is truly the case, as in they haven't done any testing on 18's, then the car is designed around having 19" rims. Could getting 18's upset the balance of the car? I don't know, just wondering aloud here. I imagine that even if this was the case, it would be hardly noticeable.
What is the planned profile of the 19"?
It seems that gearing of the MT will be the same as our 135's, so if they are using 19's the profile would have to result in a smaller sidewall to keep overall gearing the same. The new tires will be wider. If the 19's end up having a slightly larger circumference by keeping the sidewall the same, then there would be a reduction in acceleration gearing, with a positive towards higher MPH in same gear, same rpm.

For ride quality, lower profile 19's would mean there needs to be some suspension tuning consideration to keep daily road impacts to a minimum.
In the E46 M3, the 19's were/are very jarring for daily driving, a bit more than with the 18's.

If someone opted for aftermarket 18's, it would result in a taller sidewall to keep the circumference the same. That would result in slightly altered handling due to added tire suspension. But, it could be good or bad.
We'll know when someone tries it.

In the 1's, when people switch over to 17" winter tires it makes for an inaccurate comparison, because when people switch to winter tires, not only is the 17" sidewall taller, but the overall tire composition is softer as well. People have commented that a 17" winter option results in "mushier/squirmy" handling, but that's a lot to do with the winter tire rubber composition and thicker/deeper tread.

I don't recall anyone going to a 17" high performance summer tire so that a true size/handling comparison can be made.
Have you read anyone doing such a thing and posting it on a forum?
Appreciate 0